Thursday, May 26, 2011

Kris Waldherr Art and Words: Gallery/ Studio in Flatbush Neighborhood

Kris Waldherr Art and Words studio, where I had worked as a gallery assistant for 2 years since my senior year at SVA, was featured a video on Brooklyn Independent Television: http://blip.tv/neighborhoodbeat/art-and-words-with-kris-waldherr-neighborhood-beat-flatbush-5186535

I just got a link from Kris and enjoyed watching it a lot! This cozy and beautiful gallery/ space is located at the Flatbush Neighborhood in Brooklyn and attracts a lot of neighbors and passers-by as well as people who come from far away as they find out about the place via various media.

Kris is working as a designer, illustrator, fine artist and author while she runs the gallery organizing diverse exhibitions, workshops and social gatherings at the place. I, myself have been wanting to work exactly what she is doing right now, designing, illustrating and writing, have learned a lot from her while I worked for her.

Running a neighborhood-friendly gallery/ studio where neighbors could drop by and feel that art is part of their lives also had been my long time dream since I decided to be an illustrator. That dream did not really seem to be tangible since I came to New York, but I certainly remembered about it when I started working in Kris's gallery. It is just a part and a scene of the neighborhood and everyone loves it! People come in to see exhibition, come in to buy affordable art and books for presents, come in to learn something. Working at Kris's gallery certainly has been the most valuable experience for me to learn how to pursue my career as an illustrator/ author and for my future dream to run a neighborhood friendly gallery.

The Art of Children's Book Exhibition at the gallery right now is briefly featured in the video, and my whale book and NAP ON WHALE piece are shown in the background as well. :-) The show is closing down soon and the closing reception for the show is on June 12th, Sunday, 1-4pm. Saturday afternoon at the cozy, beautiful gallery is always good. :-)

Check out about the gallery and direction here.

Plus, these are some pictures I took from the opening reception of the show last March. A lot of children came, but they rather stayed outside of the gallery running around and drawing on the sidewalk with chalks while adults stayed indoors. Not surprisingly, they were all genuine artists.









2 comments:

  1. so glad you do have such a nice role model and thankful.
    Your long cherished dream will surely come true in the near future, making people happy and joyous.

    In the video,to see your works in the background is another delight for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you thank you! :-)I do hope it does come true someday.

    ReplyDelete