Saturday, May 19, 2012

Memoir

© Aram Kim. detail of Memoir, 2012. 

 


Ancient Korean drawings truly fascinate me. I had been exploring since the new year with imitating the soft brush strokes of ancient Korean drawings using soft ground technique of etching. At the end, after printing several small plates copying Korean masters from 19th century, I wanted to draw something that contained my own story. So, this piece came, the last print I pulled before the printshop closed for one month break. 

I thought of what had been important part of my life and integrated several elements including ari (my own first pet ever, a yellow baby chicken I bought from the vendor in front of my old elementary school), books, etching press, family photos and many many more. 

I remembered an old photo I saw from the family album long time ago that a small girl, me, was reaching out for an apple in the tree at the orchard our family visited, probably for pick your own apples event. She (I) was so excited and happy in the photo and her face was full of joy. Simple expectation of picking an apple from a tree by herself brought the girl the greatest delight. 

Starting from the photo, I drew out the memorable elements of my life. Looking back, sometimes, does give you an energy to walk forward.     

5 comments:

  1. i like this, actually like most of yours.
    colors, tones, images...innocent and dreamy but real as well.

    oh, ari!!
    i see her in your lap, quite relaxed and feeling loved, with her eyes softly closed and two legs stretched forth straight...i could feel her absolute trust in your loving care.
    Life and life is immortal...we're learning about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest acornie, thank you for your warm, warm comments and your everlasting support. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ari is a bitter memory for me. Helplessness... I should be able to find more creative solution than that.
    Sorry for you and Ari.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm grown enough to know that was for the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 언니!!! 저 기억하시나요- 에칭 할때 같은 수업들었던 민영이요-
    기억 안난다구요...? 기억해 보세요.....음...
    오랫만이에요- 이거 완성작 끝내 못봤었는데 여기 있었군요!
    정말 멋져요!! 따스한 이 느낌 너무 좋아요^^

    ReplyDelete