Thursday, April 7, 2011

See You Soon!

Jiyoon, flying high, at the beach, NJ. March, 2011

It is quite a bit surprising to realize that I have lived in New York for almost 5 years now.

When I first visited New York, it was February 2001. Already 10 years ago. I was vising my sister in Boston and I just took a bus for 5 hours to spend 5 days in New York. I enjoyed the visit very much, but I did never think that I would live in New York. It was an exciting city to visit and spend some holiday time, but not so great to live in, I thought.

But here I am. Already 5 years. When I think about how fast time flew away, I guess I would be saying that it has been 10 years any time soon.

I cannot say I love New York very much, but I like it. I learned what to love about it. I have never felt I am settled well and I always have this tiny bit of anxiety about where to go and what to do next. At the same time, however, it is also a bit of consolation that I don't have to be settled. I can move around freely and do what I like to do. Could be distressing in some way but could be exciting in another way.

New York is a city of immigration. A lot of people come and go. come to live and leave to live. You kind of have to get used to your good friends' constant leaving. I actually have been quite lucky that it didn't happen too often to me. However, one of my closest friends went back to Korea this week. It was a lot of hassle to sort out and pack her five years of accumulation into two giant bags and get her on the flight! Many friends gathered a night before in her apartment, chatted away, packed, threw things away, cleaned, slept, ate and chatted again. Next morning, another frantic hours of chatting, packing, trashing and cleaning, then we were all off to go to the airport.

Thankfully, we all were too tired to cry. Also we kind of believed that she would be coming back quite soon. Maybe surprisingly soon and we are gonna say "already back?"

I hope she would be back soon because I'm moving to the neighborhood close to the noodle shop she loved. In addition, she is looking at me all the time anyway on the wall right over my work desk. She gave me her self portrait for my birthday. How sweet is that!



Her web portfolio, www.LadyGeeral.com would be opening soon. She has the funniest ideas and how she executes them is brilliant. As much as I look forward to seeing her new website, I am not quite sure when it's going to open. She does take her time...Well, she flew for 24 hours stopping by in Beijing for 12 hours, so who could blame her. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment